Research Manager - Tourism Industry
Our client, Visit California, is seeking a qualified Market Research Manager. In collaboration with the Director of Research, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing travel and tourism research, analysis, and evaluation related to the marketing programs of Visit California. The Visit California Research program is the primary source supplier of California tourism statistics to destination marketing organizations (DMOs), assessed businesses, academic institutions, economic development practitioners, media, legislators and the general public. In this role you will be supporting all aspects of Visit California’s tourism marketing planning and development by managing both primary and secondary research, and analyzing and disseminating research results and insights in a variety of formats.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
50% -- Manage market research in support of Visit California’s strategic planning, marketing and communication activities. Manage market research to identify travel and tourism industry trend and insights through primary methods such as surveys, in-dept interviews and focus groups, and through secondary research through vendor partners. Identify business and research objectives, oversee development of the right research methodology and deliverables, and work closely to manage vendor relationships. Determine best practices for key travel and tourism program research: visitor volume and spending, forecast projections, visitor profiles and travel trends. Oversee proposals and bids; select vendors; manage/oversee project timelines, deliverables and day-today tasks; manage contracts; assure research vendors and programs deliver.
30% -- Derive insights through data collected through qualitative or quantitative research and produce reports, whitepapers, infographics, talking points, etc. that effectively summarize, interpret and visualize the research findings. Present research findings internally and with partners.
10% -- Provide support as directed to the California travel industry in accessing and understanding travel and tourism impacts and research. Respond to special requests from Visit California and peripheral agencies for research support, analysis and reporting. Conduct special studies as needed to support the marketing and industry communications teams of Visit California.
10% -- Perform special assignments for Visit California and other duties as deemed appropriate, including assistance and backup to all aspects of California’s tourism marketing program and industry communications.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each key duty satisfactorily, and demonstrate the following:
- Knowledge of research methods and techniques, statistical and other methods used in the analysis and projection of data, survey methods and analytical techniques, especially as applied to destination visitation and impacts.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; high degree of proficiency in synthesizing and communicating data from a variety of disciplines.
- Strong project management experience with the ability to handle multiple tasks/projects, meet deadlines and manage priorities.
- Minimum of four years’ professional experience with market research or equivalent analytical field with minimum of two years’ experience with tourism or destination marketing.
- Education equivalent to bachelor’s degree or higher; marketing, recreation, tourism or related field strongly desired.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products particularly Excel and PowerPoint, familiarity with statistical databases or software desirable.
- Work hours may exceed 40 hours per week.
- Some travel may be required
Up to $80,000 per year, depending on experience. In addition to a competitive salary, Visit California offers an excellent health benefit package. They also offer a fantastic PTO and holiday leave package, 401(k) plan, job-specific skill training, employee discount network, parking and much more!
HOW TO APPLY: Please provide your (1) cover letter and (2) resume IN A SINGLE PDF FILE.
Please respect our clients wishes and do not contact them directly . Doing so may result in disqualification, as they value the ability to follow directions and don't have the time to handle inquiries and/or contact.
Visit California has an organizational commitment to the principles of diversity and inclusion. In that spirit, we welcome all qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, color, sex, ancestry, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, national origin, medical condition, U.S. veteran/military status, pregnancy, or reasonable accommodation.